Camden woke up covered in diarrhea Saturday morning and not himself at all. He was so lethargic and cuddly and did not want me to put him down. Low grade fever, so nothing seemed serious at the time, but just not my normal baby boy. I panicked a little because I wasn't use to him acting this way, but he actually ate some oatmeal for breakfast and just the low fever made me second guess that he was okay and just not feeling well.
After a couple hours of watching him not want to even play and laying in our arms, we just knew that there must have been something wrong. We took Camden to the ER at around 10:00am and the first thing the doctor said was that he was dehydrated. After several attempts at inserting an IV needle into Camden's arm and him not even flinching or crying in pain from the pokes, the nurse had to insert the IV into his foot. He was just so dry and his veins were so small from dehydration that they couldn't find one to put a needle in.
Finally after having the IV in, he was taken in to get chest x-rays to rule out pneumonia. That was a painful process and I wasn't allowed in their so i just stood at the end of the hallway listening to him cry until they were finally done and I could pick him up. Jason stayed with him the whole time so that was good.
After in his room for an hour or so he started vomiting and having diarrhea badly and it was awful seeing him so sick. The doctor knew that Camden had Rota virus by the awful smell of his stool. It was a relief to have a diagnosis, but sad that it was a virus and nothing we could do but keep fluids in him and let it take its course. We left the ER at 3:00pm and brought Camden home after he had had lots of IV fluids in him and was showing more alertness and life in him.
It was the most awful thing to see our baby like this, but we are so blessed that we were able to get Camden the help he needed in time before it got too serious!!
Now, we will be celebrating his 1st Birthday even better than what it would have been because he deserves it:)
Needless to say, I have had some time on my hands as my mom and dad so gracioiusly took Kyler over night so we could keep him far away from this horrible virus and we could focus our whole attention on Camden and his needs! With this time, I decided that updating my blog would be a good idea:) since November was my last post and probably even more that I am particular about the order of my postings- I get too overwhelmed when events stack up and it requires hours at the computer- doesn't become fun anymore to blog:) So, enjoy the last 2 months of our lives in my next posts- mostly just about our fast growing, fun loving, boys that ARE our lives:)!
2 comments:
Sorry about Camden! We took Luke to the ER on Wednesday night for the same thing! He definately had the virus too. The rest of the family got funked out on Friday, in exception of Robb. I hope he feels better soon! CLOROX, CLOROX, CLOROX!
poor baby...glad he is doing much better!!
Post a Comment