Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Our FIRST Attempt at a Garden

I am very garden challenged in my days, so usually nothing lives under the care of me if your a plant:) Well, I thought I would give it a shot now that we have a sprinkler system and I think that makes the biggest difference when you don't have to remember to water on your own. I know, sad isn't it, but I truely cannot remember to feed myself and kids, much less water the plants outside in the hundred degree weather we have going on.

Needlesss to say, back in March, the boys and I found these mini greenhouse garden starters at the home improvement store and thought we would give them a try.  We started with flowers and I had the boys both pick out the flower packet of seeds they wanted to plant. Kyler of course picked out orange flowers and Camden picked out blue flowers and I picked a few of my own!  

 The boys are filling the squares with rich soil so we can plant the seeds in each one.
 Poking the seeds down into each square was their favorite part!:) Mission accomplished! We were leaving in a week for Destin, FL at the time so we were so surprised to come home to...
 THIS! All the seeds had sprouted and it was so exciting:)!!!  I couldn't believe we actually grew something and the boys were just as excited to see the plants when we got home!
 We took care of the seedlings and let them grow in the trays for a couple weeks longer then I went and planted each one of the delicate seedlings around my trees where I wanted to grow flowers. This is a picture in May, so a month later, and they have taken strong roots and are actually sticking around!
 Here is one of our first flower blooms and...
 This is Camden's flowers which I didn't realize were vines.  It's the morning glory flowers and they are vines but are suppose to grow blue flowers so we will see, but the vine is growing like crazy! We will keep more pictures posted on our progress! But, so far so good!

No comments: